Daphne Alabama has seen a litany of historical influences that gives it the character that it has today.
It is also as one of the State’s oldest cities, by means of being inhabited.
Those influences include Native American, Spanish, French, British, as well as perhaps its best known, Italian.
It was officially established on April 9, 1874, when the Post Office was opened.
It was incorporated on July 8, 1927, with a whopping population of about 500.
The history of Daphne Alabama begins with its earliest Settlers, the Native Americans.
There were several tribes who at one time laid claim to the area as far back as the early 1300’s, and they include the Tensaw, Choctaw, Seminole, as well as the Creek Indian Tribes.
This was something however, that played a very unique role in its early history; it was considered to be a “neutral ground”.
Although not totally unheard of, it was unusual, as all the tribes in the area would gather at this location to discuss their relationships as different nations.
It was estimated that by the very early 1500’s, there were as many as 5,000 Native Americans that lived in the area that is today known as Daphne, Alabama.
It was these mixtures of tribes that met the first Spanish explorer to the area, Hernando de Soto, around the year 1540.
The Spanish were the first European settlers in the area until the late 1550’s, but that would soon change, as the French would take over the area.
In the early 1700’s the French laid claim to Mobile Bay as well as all of the Eastern shore of the Bay, and that included Daphne.
However, that would soon change again as the British were given the land in the “Treaty of Paris” in 1763, and they formed a community called the “Village”.
This only lasted for 20 years, as the British surrendered the area to Spain in 1783, until U.S. troops led by Andrew Jackson took control of the area in 1814.
In the Civil War years, Daphne Alabama was actually known as “The Village of Bell Rise”.
However, after the Civil War, the area becomes almost uninhabited until 1874, when a U.S Post Office was established in the town.
In the late 1890’s and early 1900’s it was about to get much of its current heritage, as several Italian families settled in the area, which again changed the culture.
It was the Italians that developed the agricultural in this area, as well as its tradition for fine food and wine.
The Italians were very skilled at all areas of agriculture and made huge changes to farming in the area.
These Italian immigrants were seeking refuge from the large urban cities in the north, as well as a place to start Catholic Churches.
In 1895, land was bought by this group for a Church, in what is today known as “Old Daphne Alabama”.
It was run by Father Angelo Chiariglione from Torino Italy, and before long it drew the attention of the Queen of Italy.
The Queen, Margherita of Savoy, sent this small Church numerous vestments that included a monstrance, a chalice, and candlesticks.
In fact, they are still on display at the current location, the Christ the King Catholic Church.
On July 8, 1927, it was finally incorporated in a request that was signed and presented by 41 landholders.
The town has some tales of tragedy as well, as in July of 1997 it took a direct hit from Hurricane Danny.
It was hit again by Hurricane Ivan in 2004, which made land fall just south of the town in Gulf Shores.
Ivan was a category 3 Hurricane that inflicted heavy damage to the town, only to get hit again one year later by remnants of Hurricane Katrina.
There are several places to see in Daphne Alabama and they include the following.
The Daphne Old Methodist Church Museum is the second oldest church that is located in Baldwin County.
It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and was built in the year 1858 as a place of worship for the early settlers.
It was dedicated in the year 2001 as a museum, to tell the history of not only this historic old town, but the surrounding communities as well.
The Museum is located at 405 Dryer Avenue.
The Daphne Art Center, also known as the DAC, has one major purpose; to allow local artists to reach their potential and participate in their art programs.
It is located at 1704 6th Street in what used to be the towns jail.
The American Sport Museum and Archives was established in 1984, and is dedicated to preserving sports art, its history, as well as its literature.
It is made up of over 1500 pieces of work for all areas of the media, and also includes several prints, posters, paintings, sculptures, as well as photographs.
The Black Education Museum has been opened since 2009 and is located at 1000 Main Street.
Alabama Gift Store
Numerous Items for You and Your Family to Enjoy
See it here at the Gift Store
Copyright 2019-2023 Alabamabackroads.com
All Rights Reserved